Hi! My name is Rena Gore!!

Hi! My name is Rena Gore!! And as the blog would suggest I work in residence life!! For those of you not familiar with res life, as I lik...

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Real Life with Me

Hi! 

It has been quite some time since I've last wrote. Two years to be in fact and I've learned quite some things since that time.

As you know, I completed grad school to start my professional work in residence life and that is exactly what I have been doing these past two years. 

Working with the lovely yet challenging and ready to take the world first year residents of my hall and the ever so strong, fierce, and independent upperclassmen that make up my staff made me realize that I want to do a bit more with my work. 

Honestly I got into this career because I'm a dreamer that loves working with people and inspiring them to dream big and go after that. Yet dreaming is pointless if you have no idea how to function in real life (says the woman still living in a freshmen residence hall). 

College, particularly when staying in the residence hall, is where one starts to figure out how to transition from the life they knew as a child to the one that they create and choose as an adult. In order to get to that life you must learn some real life skills along the way and part of choosing the career and profession that I do is to teach that to the younger generations. 

With this being a responsibility that I simply cannot ignore, I am hoping to embark on a Real Life with Rena (or an RHD) series via social media (YouTube, Blog, etc) and in-person sessions to really make a difference in the hundreds of students that come through my doors a year. 

To all you fellow student affairs professionals and reslifers out there, I ask for your opinions, topics, and suggestions out there as I embark on this new journey in my reslife career.

Thanks for reading and until next time I'm an RHD with a Real Life dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment